Monday, 1 February 2016

Indian Girl Is Taken To Hospital After Being Raped Only To Be Sexually Assaulted Again In Hospital

Women activists participate in a demonstration demanding capital punishment for the men convicted in the Kamduni rape case - the court in Kolkata sentenced Saiful Ali, Ansar Ali and Amin Ali to the death penalty on Friday 

Investigation has been launched by police in India after a 15-year-old girl was allegedly sexually assaulted by a security guard in a hospital - where she was being treated for rape. The teenager claims she was raped on Sunday by a security guard at the hospital where she had been admitted in Jamshedpur city, in the impoverished state of Jharkhand, east India.

The girl had been admitted several days earlier to the Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Hospital (MGMCH). She was being treated for sexual assault after informing police she had been raped by a teenager in her neighbourhood on the city's outskirts. 

The girl had been admitted to the M.G.M Hospital in Jamshedpur city, east India, after informing police she had been raped by a teenager in her neighbourhood

'We registered a case and arrested the private security guard posted at the hospital after the girl's complaint and are now awaiting her medical report,' said police superintendent Chandan Jha. 'The girl has (now) been referred to the best hospital in the city for further treatment and rehabilitation,' he added. 

'Since the accused in the earlier case was also a minor, he was detained and sent to a juvenile remand home'. Public hospitals in India are often poorly resourced, with lax security, while overworked doctors and nurses struggle to cope with a crush of patients and families. 

The All India Progressive Women's Association (AIPWA) hold a protest, demanding justice 

This comes after mass protests took place in Kolkata on Friday, where activists from the All India Progressive Women's Association (AIPWA) called on the state government of West Bengal to give tougher sentences to men found guilty of raping and murdering women.

The group staged a demonstration outside Kolkata court where three men were handed the death sentence for the gang-rape and murder of a young woman. The court sentenced Saiful Ali, Ansar Ali and Amin Ali to the death penalty and a further three defendants, Sheikh Emanul Islam, Aminur Islam and Bhola Naskar, were given life sentences after being convicted of gang rape, criminal conspiracy and causing disappearance of evidence.

Two of the eight accused were acquitted for lack of evidence by the court. The 20-year-old woman was targeted as she walked home after an exam in 2013 in the village of Kamduni, in the eastern state of West Bengal. 

The attack triggered anger in West Bengal and came just months after the fatal gang-rape of Jyoti Singh on a bus in Delhi in December 2012. Jyoti's death shone a global spotlight on frightening levels of sexual violence against women. It also led to major reform of India's rape laws including speeding up of trials and hiking penalties for offenders - but high numbers of assaults persist.